Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Have I told you about my other family, Noble Star Rally?

So I'll back up for those of you who don't know, since I never blogged about it...  I am a photographer on a rally team called Noble Star Rally.  The story of how this came to be (somehow this is the "Long story short" version) is that I met Amanda Skelly briefly at the world record attempt for the largest parade of Subarus, in honor of rally driver Matt Noble Marker, back in September of 2012.  Fast forward to December and I met her again, along with co-driver/fiance Derrick Rudisel and team photographer Eric Delaney at a local rallycross that I entered. 

Subaru Parade, Elk Rapids, MI
Photo credit: unknown

SCCA Rallycross, Thistle Hill, MI
Photo credit: Eric Delaney
During the rallycross we all ended up working corner two together.  So we got to chatting and got to know each other the entire day.  Needless to say we hit it off like most rally heads do.  Rally = Insta-family!  A week later we were still chatting and they found out about my love for photography AND that it was my birthday so they took me out for dinner and invited me to join the team!  First event, Sno-Drift 2013, only a month away!  Fast forward to the end of January 2013!
Amanda Skelly's Impreza 2.2RS (yes, 2.2)
Due to work at the time I couldn't spend the entire week with the team so I drove up race day 1 to meet up with everyone before park expose.  Another thing I didn't know till day of, I was going to be shooting with Andrew Bohan and Eric Delaney of Life Blasters and Alex Wong of Emotive Image.  I also need to be sure to throw out a special thanks to Alex for hooking me up with the proper forms and having me shoot with him as an "Emotive Image Photographer".  This is how I was able to get my official media pass.  Without that I wouldn't have been able to stand in some of the best/dangerous spots!  Too awesome!
My first corner ever shot with an official Media pass!

Only a couple days spent with the entire team and I'd like to think that I meshed in pretty well.  Definitely one of the best and most diverse groups of people I have ever come across and glad to have become one of the NSR family.
This is my new rally family.
Photo Credit: Andrew Bohan
Event two, Susquehannock Trail Performance Rally (STPR), May 2013.  Lets trade that cold breeze and snow for high heat and dust.  This time around I made the entire event and even lent Amanda and Derrick my Forester for recce! Even my car gets to participate in stage rally!
If only this sticker wasn't paper.  It would have lasted longer.
Shot plenty of service photos the first few days and come race day two, Eric and I were able to hike out to a stage for some fun shots.  Unfortunately this time around I wasn't able to get a media pass, but there was still some pretty good spectator areas to check out.  We also introduced new teammates, driver Brian McNamara and co-driver Amber Stacy.




Two rallies shooting for Noble Star Rally and it's been great!  I love what I do with the team.  I live nearby and get to help work on the rally car from time to time, travel with a great crew, meet and make new friends on other teams from other areas.  The list of awesome goes on and my rally family continues to grow.
After rally hike at the PA, Grand Cayon.
Photo credit: Eric Delaney



Up next is the New England Forest Rally (NEFR), July 2013. This time I put the camera back in it's bag, suit up, get the stage notes ready and harness in.  Time to ride shotgun with a fresh new title of "Co-Driver".



To be continued...
Photo credit: Joshua Pembleton
As always be sure to check out my Facebook page at Facebook.com/MCampbellPhoto for more of my photos.  And don't forget to check out some of the links below and check out the work of those who inspire me.

Facebook.com/NobleStarRally
BerryFaveThings.blogspot.com
CarrsAreLife.blogspot.com/
Facebook.com/Emotive-Image
LifeBlasters.com

No comments:

Post a Comment